Monday, October 15, 2012

Gratitude

     Gratitude, how easily you are robbed from me. I don't know if it is where we live or what we have, or who we are with, but gratitude just doesn't seem to last long enough. My heart is continually dissatisfied. It is a daily battle to be grateful and content with what I have.
      
      I want bigger, better, newer everything. Why? Why do I seek what I do not have instead of loving what I do? I find myself seeking and searching out plans for new things.  Discontentment is a hunger that will never be satisfied. The more I feed it, the hungrier it gets.

      Who decides what is enough. I want to say I don't care if my clothes are old or my car is dying(and sings songs to everyone as we drive by;), my house only has one bathroom. The thing is I do care. Truth is, a massive amount of families all over the world are living in conditions that would make my life look like serious greed. Truth is, I am blessed beyond belief. I have a husband who treats me and our children very well. We have a house of our own, with enough bedrooms for our girls and boys to be in separate rooms, we have a working bathroom, a functional kitchen, carpeted floors, two vehicles that we own, shoes on our feet, clothes on our back and food in our bellies. A job. My hubby has a job. Nope we by no means , according to most of society, have it all. However, I am choosing gratitude. God has brought us from poverty and despair,  to living on our own. 

     Discontentment feels burdensome. Gratitude feels joyous. There is life in thankfulness. So, I will shout it from the roof tops and remind myself daily to keep thankfulness on my mind and lips. When the world tries to burden me with ideas of greed and discontentment, I will remember what the Lord has done and what I already have.
  It in my opinion, is completely selfish and prideful, to think we can do this life on our own. We look down on those who 'can't make it on their own'. So stop feeling bad when you need people, we all do!


1 comment:

  1. wow! thank you for that, I know that we all feel that way all too often. I am continually blessed by you, and your faith :)

    ReplyDelete